By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have resulted in struggle, genocide, totalitarian oppression, kinfolk breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable rules are nonetheless renowned and pervasive--in truth, they could impact your personal considering with no your knowing it. the following with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new booklet, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes each one of those evil books by means of its malignant middle and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, realized, and provocative exposé, you will learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince was once the foundation for a protracted record of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on strategy "proved" God's lifestyles in simple terms via making Him a construction of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan ended in the idea that we have got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may win the award for the main malicious booklet ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past solid and Evil issued the decision for a global governed completely by means of the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf was once a type of "spiritualized Darwinism" that money owed for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa grew to become out to be a production of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male used to be easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, surprising, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the realm bargains a brief schooling at the worst rules in human history--and how we will be able to stay away from them within the future.
Read or Download 10 Books That Screwed Up the World PDF
Best conservatism & liberalism books
An exceptional instance of what passes for scholarship at the correct nowadays. This writer tortures truth and common sense to a bloody pulp to cause them to try and comply with Tea get together orthodoxy. valuable for Fox information audience who wish extra speaking issues, yet lifeless if you are attempting to truly research whatever.
Ideologies of Conservatism charts advancements and alterations within the nature of Conservative political idea and the which means of Conservatism during the 20th century. Ewen Green's penetrating learn explores the Conservative brain from the Edwardian certainties of Balfour to the Thatcherite Nineteen Eighties and past.
Whilst the worldwide monetary quandary hit in 2007, many commentators idea it heralded the tip of neoliberalism. numerous years later, neoliberalism keeps to dominate policy-making. This booklet units out why such commentators received it so improper, and why neoliberalism continues to be so sturdy within the face of drawback.
Departing from the normal knowing of neoliberalism as a collection of monetary and political guidelines favoring loose markets, Neoliberal tradition provides a framework for interpreting neoliberalism within the usa as a culture-or constitution of feeling- which shapes American daily life. The ebook proposes 5 'components' because the keys to any examine of yank neoliberal tradition: biopower, corporatocracy, globalization, the erosion of welfare-state society, and hyperlegality, those 5 elements permitting wealthy analyses of key artifacts of the neoliberal period, together with the Iraq warfare, Las Vegas, welfare reform, Walmart, and Oprah's ebook membership.
- Scorched Earth: Restoring the Country after Obama
- Confronting Company Politics
- The Conservative Intellectual Movement in America Since 1945
- Liberal Parties in Western Europe
- Liberal Modernity and Its Adversaries
Extra resources for 10 Books That Screwed Up the World
Each did as he wished, and since he wished for so little, there were no conflicts and no anxious toiling. " Some fool got it into his head to build a hut, and even worse, instead of running off after he'd conquered a woman, he invited her into his shelter. This "produced the establishment and differentiation of families," and "a sort of property," a distinc tion of mine and thine that never existed. 17 Things slid quickly Discourse on the Origin and Foundations ofInequality among Men (1 755) 49 downhill from there.
If we let our imaginations run wild, we could doubt even the solid ity of the ground we stand on or the fact that we have a nose. Even if such a method doesn't lead to insanity, it certainly leads to narcissism, the morbid condition of believing that I sit in god-like judgment of everything else but nothing stands in judgment of me. We suspect that Descartes' method clothes itself in the most abject humility as a way to exert the most naked pride. It assumes the pos ture of a quivering ant to presume the imposture of a towering god.
Miseries and horrors" will end only if someone forcibly uproots the stakes of private property and drives them into the hearts of the owners. Communism ! The main difference between Rousseau and Marx is that Marx thought technology could ultimately provide the kind of idleness and plenty that Rousseau identified only with our original condi tion. Marx therefore believed that human progress through the various developmental historical stages could bring us (after the final cataclysmic revolution) to a condition of equality and property free communism.
10 Books That Screwed Up the World by Benjamin Wiker